Tuesday, June 27, 2006

sensei stephen's class

yo, jujitsu peeps- feel free to write anything/any time

techniques
1. face punch - throw head to ground: taisabaki (?), parry with both hands, arm closest to uke shoulder goes under uke's punching arm + crosses ukes center line and up around ear furthest from tori, other hand does same except goes to uke ear closest to tori, bring head straight to ground w/ weight, lock

2. ippon seionage - a save w/ uke throw while tori on ground: grab each other's lapels (arm and chest), uke sets up for ippon, but as soon as you feel the set up, jump to side of uke's clipping arm, still holding on ukes gi, continue direction of jump and land body perpendicular to uke's body, throw uke over body w/ legs blocking uke's feet, push out w/ hips during throw

3. round house punch - inside foot sweep: step to inside of uke, take center, block forearm/biceps, roll shoulder for more off balance, monkey claw footsweep on uke lead leg, get out of way or lock

4. one arm mug - like ippon seionage but drop to knees: foot on side not attacked steps super deep between uke legs, catch choke w/ little fingers, drop to both knees + twist from hips, uke is thrown and you face not down but to side.
* there was a ground lock where both knees were under uke's shoulder, uke was lying on back after throw, grab obi knot, compress neck. must be careful since everyone's neck is different.

*1st 2x doing this I dropped to my knees and did not twist @ hips and look to side. thus, my head banged the matt. thank god, it was just elizabeth. good form helps not get injured in first place, i am learning

5. one arm mug from inside - shihonage w/ elbow strike: elbow strike on side not attacked, bend forward to inside and let hands prepare for shihonage, step around to side + shihonage uke arm, bend knees in shiko hachi stances for take down ( i think ) and lock

6. full nelson - finger pain + ikkyu: as soon as you feel uke going for full nelson, catch uke arms by squeezing arms to side - preventing uke to finish lock, grab a pinky and bend (be very very careful! it's easy to hurt uke this way), step around w/ leg not on same side as finger bend + do ikkyu - catch uke elbow crook with other arm as finger bending arm continues downward motion, stretching uke out + off balance, take down, lock

7.round house punch - choke/throw head: hitch step, block forearm + bicep, strike neck, outside arm crosses under arm that just struck uke, crosses ukes' center line and up around neck to other hand, clasp hands, choke uke neck by squeezing forearms together, get out of way of uke's imminent fall, pull uke straight down,

fancy but distracting practicing
I'm very much appreciating the value of being in the moment, while practicing. Today, for instance, when ukeing for sempai adi, I could really tell the difference in his warm up drills vs. mine. You know, feeling the off balance after a hitch step entry and the crucial hip turn to aid that. And that was a very fun discovery. It made me smile + happy to better understand those drills.

And then I was ukeing for this new white belt w/ previous training. He corrected me on a few things, and they made sense. It was favorable practicing until he started throwing some new + additional ground kicks to my head/body after inside foot sweeping me to ground.

This fancy kicking out of nowhere distracted me from the technique we currently were working on. My first bad move...

And then I got excited + responded to his sweeping ground kicks w/ a capoerista move of pulling his non-kicking leg's ankle toward me with one foot + pushing non kicking leg's knee in the other direction with my other foot, while tori's other leg was mid-kick. My second bad move! And we went on and on about this debating whether this one leg trip would prevent his sweeping ground kicks to my head.

All of this doesn't seem good at all. Bad, bad training, I think. Bad in terms of safety + focus.

safety- I could feel the urge of responding in defense to his finishing ground kicks with more instinctive moves, one of which also involved my eyes targeting his groin and boom - a heel kick to groin while tori is in middle of executing a sweeping ground kick to my head.

I guess I felt "on fire" because I was perturbed by the kicking to my head. Natural human instinct, I guess. But
this random rough housing could've lead to injury. Not good. Not good at all.

focus - Second, I felt that doing anything else but current technique meant that we weren't fully immersed into training for that technique. It meant our our minds and bodies were wandering and not making the most of training for that one technique. it seemed we weren't fully aware of each other.

So, I learn to calm down + focus more. Next time I train and tori or uke does something unrelated to what we are practicing I will not respond/react in kind, though I'm sure my mind will spark with a reaction.

Such random rough housing is likely to open a can of worms and not make the most of training for me at this time.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Adi Zukerman said...

Its good to concentrate on the technique and put safety first. You can't train if you are injured. But I'd be aware of focusing exclusively on just the technique for fear of "missing the forest for the trees." Always remember the context of what you are doing and the why. For why; This is a defense martial art, you do a technique to stop someone from hurting you. The goal is to protect yourself, not just do a technique. And also the what: all techniques are related, understanding that relationship helps me start learning off balance versus nikkyu or ikkyu. I'm still far off from that.

At least that is my opinion right now. I'm sure as I practice more I'll realize I still don't see the forest

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are very very good points - the focus and etiquette while practicing.

i will share that as i work with others thru action/short comments to the point.

i notice that less chat is most appropriate in dojo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home