Friday, June 16, 2006

class notes

techniques
1 - fwd punch - ikkyu, step to side, cross center line, non lead hand at uke wrist, lead hand at uke elbow, if lead hand thumb over uke elbow, keep driving energy forward as you twist wrist so thumb is under elbow - straighten arms over the uke elbow, drive energy down
-don't lead with shoulders, lead w/ hips

2. lapel grab - step in, take center, frisk and drive energy down to uke hip. non lead foot does not drag behind but quickly follow lead leg

-can add punch, but main thing is stepping in and off balance of uke. when uke falls, don't turn back, control uke, or step away

3. new lapel grab - ankle block, throw over ankle - follow uke while throwing looking in direction where you want to throw (down behind u), ankle bloc by lead leg, lean shoulder back as uke grabs, make foot a monkey claw, don't leave back facing uke after throw, turn around and face uke

4. for short folks, don't look up into eyes of uke, or you will lose balance, keep head straight no matter how pretty uke eyes are

5.lapel grab - step out to shiko dachi, arms don't push down, whole body drops. let ukecatch lapel and lead with lead hand of uke's attacking arm, step straight back into shiko dachi, keep head straight, non lead hand goes to bicep

6. when tested on technique, keep going don't stop, it's important to get out of way and keep going

7. in ukemi kata- learned to do back fall and side fall without touching ground, keep head tucked

8. cross hand wrist grab - ikkyu, don't have to wait to be grabbed
whole body gets into technique
9. lapel grab - nikyyu, keep elbow down, don't apply energy is both hands, just one that is doing lock, other hand just "hangs there" says sensei m, step when u apply lock

count then move when doing drills

1 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is this sense of gravity of what I am learning in the dojo - of life, death and survival.

I understand and respect that intimately.
(Two weeks ago a dear friend was robbed by knife point in San Francisco, and he is the comical, cheery type who doesn't think of these happening in the world.) I'm like him. A bit goofy + bubbly.

But I, too, have faced death in another situation- and it is a wake up call - of how fragile and short life can be. Maybe if I change my frame of mind, my body will instinctively wake up and respond. Like it might help me respond better if I think, "I'm not going to die" and my body will do something about it.

To draw a little distinction here - I personally learn/remember things better when I'm having fun in the process - for example, making that groovy mp3 of my technique notes. It was not make light of the nature or importance of "self-defense." The groovy mp3 is just a learning tool for my learning sake and it is likely not for everyone...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home