Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Being careful...

Studying martial arts reveals moments where I get or don't get what is going on as I train.

I have wierd moments like saying "osu" at work, or putting my hands up in guard when a student raises his hand to ask a question. Then, last night, was an ultimate low. I know sensei has forgotten the accident, but I still feel like I really didn't learn something. A quick briefing on being careful helped. A smack in the head likely won't help (but maybe I need one- argh.) Maybe I should practice more and just be more and more careful? Maybe i need to slow really really down when I learn something new...

What bugs me about last night is that even when I carefully saw that Sensei do a very soft heel stomp on ground, my leg like had a mind of its own. Sure I did a lot of ushiro geris/back kicks this week, and I wonder if sheer repetition made me less in control. Anyway I still feel really badly, even accidents do happen. I think I need to really work on being careful.

Saying again, sorry sensei coleman. i'll work on being careful. (also, i was very inspired how you handled the situation - like not blowing up in frustration and leaving the dojo, something i remember doing a few months ago. so thank you for that. i'll try to be that calm if i get injured again in the future)

techniques:
1. judo style grab - step across to opposite of body, same arm bend uke elbow up at 90 degrees, oppositeve arm pulls gi @ elbow toward you + across body, make sure stepping is collapsing into uke, keep pulling uke arm across body, drape uke on hip, heels together, twist and throw
in front of you, lock

2. same above, but two steps to the side where hand is hold uke gi @ elbow, make sure there is no slack in gi, then direct uke arm across centerline + up across body, pull at other arm to go across body, heels together, load on hip, then with arm holding uke arm above cut down to ground but curve at end, uke is thrown on side

3. two hand push - point the gun, hitch step to one side, one arm up + one arm down, project uke forward

4. face punch - step to side that is opposite of punch, oppositve hand extends in front and parries w/ forearm, then ikkyu w/ hitch step, can add mae geri here, then pin on ground

5. hi pin - drop weight, turn thumbs in, elbow strike, step behind uke w/ foot behind uke's foot, wipe off leg for throw, face uke after throw, lock

6. round house punch - close window and catch lead heel w/ hand and sweep for fall

7. back grab - sit back on uke knee, catch heel and pull forward, uke takes back fall, heel stomp, same side hand grabs knife edge of foot w/ palm pressed against top of foot + fingers hook on knife edge of foot, other hand palm heel pushes the uke foot heel on the opposite side of foot's knife edge, pain is caused throughout leg

1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well a chat with a friend helped me realized that it's just me.

I'm pretty hard on myself so it is going to take some time to not feel bad. in mean time, i will slow down + be careful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home