Sunday, November 19, 2006

To train or not to train, this is not the question!

Sometimes when I learn something new in class, I start to get a rough idea how many times I'm going to train for that one move so that it becomes more natural. The more I am aware of this - of how much training is necessary - I'm fired up to keep at it until I ask a question like:

"sensei, how do you know when you're training too much?"

and sensei coleman mentioned that injuries that don't go away and the lack of motivation were signs of training too much. That's good to know...'cause if I counted the number of pushups I've done this week (approx. 350), I'd start to play mind games and say "whoa, that's too much!" But, really, I'm ok. My pecs and arms are pretty sore, but in a good way and I'm still very motivated to keep training. So there is no real reason to stop. I notice how easy it is for the mind to make excuses about training. What discipline it takes to commit and keep it real.
Phew.

Technique
1. judo style grab - step to center, check watch, answer phone, keep elbow in front of body, really pull up and toward u for uke's off balance toward you, back leg follows and cross steps behind lead leg, load uke on hip, lead leg now in front of uke's leg, lean forward at shoulders + lift leg at same time for reap, twist at hips, uke takes fall, follow up w/ 2 legs next to uke and standing over her

2. judo style grab - step to center, check watch, answer phone and kick waste basket, really pull up and toward u for uke's off balance toward you, notice sensei pulls up and forward, look at location where you want uke to fall, ankle block, throw uke behind u

3. mae geri - lead hand catches from outside ankle, same side hand makes x and catches inside of ankle, lead hand changes position to cup at heel + raise uke leg (if uke not so big), back leg comes around with sweep on standing leg

4. round house kick - step away at 45 deg to non kicking side of uke, back leg follows and make hamni

5. do 2 heel palm strikes to face to cover center before striking w/ round house

6. 1 arm lapel grab - take step back, catch attacking hand and put in kotogaeshi lock while free hand strikes face and then takes uke down at deltoid and bicep joint (?)

7. 1 arm lapel grab - ikkyu - take step back, catch attacking hand with hand that just struck face, drop low to get the elbow bend, same side arm does a parry (like the beginning of taisabaki kata) to set up to catch uke's elbow, hook thumb in elbow, do ikkyu

2 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

Haha!

Jeannie I'm writing my blog about the same thing! I got pretty chewed up the past few days, but sometimes you realize things when you are tired, or sore, i.e. my ribs are sore so my rolls have to be perfect, etc.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and one more cool point that sensei made yesterday was about independence (although sensei said that "independence" wasn't the best word).

He said that training allows the art to become a part of you, so that there comes a point where you take it wherever you go.
One is not so much dependent on the dojo because the art has evolved to become so much a part of you.

I remember having similar piece of advice like this 7 years ago (in another field of study)...so I think there is some more universal truth to the concept...something that can be applied in and outside the dojo, martial arts, etc...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home