Wednesday, November 15, 2006

monday, nov 14, sensei stephen

Reflections: Studying jujitsu makes me really happy. I don't know why I think its fun - with all the wacks, smacks and bruising, the mental challenge and occasional frustrations and self-doubt/fear.

I go home after a dreary subway ride, try to finish up the day with a basic late night snack and call to mom, but I look at my bed and say, "Hey, I'll just lay down for 1 minute to catch my sanity because I'm so bloody sore."

Then the next thing I know, it's "Bing, bing, bing!" - 8am the next morning, soup gone cold on the stove, mom sitting wondering what happened to her child, and I'm like, "oh crap, late for work."

Then I sit on the subway back to Manhattan - still very sore - and I realize I'm still not doing enough training. Not enough art. Not enough cardio. Not enough...(list goes on).

I guess its never enough.

techniques

1. forward punch - elbow in crook and drop weight and uke turns in direction of projection

2. round house(?) - step into center and roll shoulder, really get knee in uke's lead leg

3. forward punch - hitch step and catch between arms really bend legs, extend leg, and turn uke over on side for fall

4. guard on ground - pushup with both hands and prop up with one knee and punch down, catch crook of knee w/ opposite hand, same side arm catches under uke leg, turn over on belly w/ hold (bend knee), trap other foot in crook of knee, and lock on ground

5. morote seionage - w/ new grip, thumb is inside lapel, and same side as throwing side, keep both arms in front, and elbow in arm pit of uke

6. same grip as above, but on ground. choke by having arm tug at lapel to you, while other grip (with thumb inside lapel) is deep into uke's collar

*gearoid said that there are two spots on throat for choke (one that takes 30 sec (?) to knock someone out) and well, i never thought of choking that way. he asked if i have seen ultimate fighter (ing?) show, and i have not.

* so i realize (just like i never knew what the solar plexis was), i guess i have to learn about the anatomy of the human throat to figure out the connection between hold and choke

1 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

Hey Jeanster.

I posted this link in my previous post, it's http://www.judoinfo.com/shime.htm this has all the judo chokes, though there are more.

Also there is http://www.judoinfo.com/chokes1.htm

Where they have articles on choking.
I think what Gearoid was trying to say is the difference between a choke and a strangle. A choke is compression of the windpipe which leads to asphixiation, where as a strgle is the stopping of blodd flow by the cartoid artery, this creates a very quick technique.

I hear you about not training enough. The only thing that helps me is making it a must, rather than a should. I try to treat dojo like walking my dog, it's just not an option to not do it. Though sometimes I have to make arrangements if I can not myself , e.g. reading on techniques,or learning terminology I count as dojo if I can not make class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home