Thursday, November 16, 2006

November 14, Sensei Stephen

1. Ura-Nage ( from Tsuki )
Hitch Step into punch
Drop weight, lift uke
Pivot hips + Drop

I think anyone over 200lbs it might become difficult ;) Big thing here is that the lift is similar to a deadlift in weightlifting. When deadlifting you want to keep the toe visible when squatting ( alleviates stress on knees ) and a straight back. ( if you look up, your back will not be able to bend ) You should feel your quads, abs and chest on the lift.

This is interesting technique because it affords me my strength.

2. Morote-Seionage
Grip Uke as if for Uki-eri-Jime
As Uke defends against choke pull to the side and pivot
Keeping lead hand in front of you, touch elbow to opposite fist
Throw

*Note : Go for the standing gi choke
**Note : When throwing someone smaller lift hands to your center, the pulls uke up keeping them from hitting their head
***Note : You can drop knee for someone smaller


I worked with this with Jeannie. I wanted to because this is the throw that Zhenya gets me in...I just forgot how painful it is. Normally I don't come home with bruises, but tonight I did. Ouch! When being thrown by someone smaller extend your arm when slapping. Turn faster to land on your side as opposed to on ribs. I remember Jack ( where are you jack?! ) telling me that he broke his ribs ( mmmmmmmmmm ribs ) that way.

3. Garuma-Otoshi ( close the window ) with a Ouchi-Gari
Step into round house punch, checking uke's knee with your knee, place hand on shoulder
Roll shoulder back and to the side about 2 degrees ( close the window style )
Sweep foot

Through the year or so that I have been here I have heard a lot of things that I will carry with me. This past weekend Sensei Ivan was shoing me that when we block, we are controlling the center, so it's about being there first. This doesn't mean be faster it means be more efficient with your moves. When working I slide in and pivot at the last moment. I think of the speeding car that is racing, turns the wheel and flips over, except nage is the speed and uke is the car.

4. Escape from the Gaurd
Uke has you in a full gaurd ( ankles locked )
Press against uke's navel and pivot
Brace leg with both hands to break the gaurd and to flip leg
Take locked leg and tuck it into opposite knee
Lock

So say you fall onto uke, and they put you into a quick gaurd. Drop but do not lean in, uke can get an arm bar, choke etc.
Drop to avoid having your ribs crushed by uke.

5. Okuri-Eri-Jime from mount
Lock your gaurd
Grab uke's lapel towards the back of neck with opposite hand
Grab slack from collar with opposite hand and pull

It seemed like the big trick to this choke is to grab really deep into thier collar.

5. Okuri-Eri-Jime from gaurd
Lock your gaurd
Grab uke's lapel towards the back of neck with opposite hand, tuck head to avoid any oncoming damage
Grab slack from collar with opposite hand and pull

6. Escape Uki-Eri-Jime from Gaurd
Turn head, pull elbow into you
Kick off from opposite heel to bridge and push uke over
Now you are mounted

After class I asked Youval to show me some stuff with this. He showed me that if uke is coming towards you while you are in gaurd if you pull the arm towards you, you can turn it into many different thing, e.g. Juji-Gatame, Sankuku ( Triangle ) Choke, just bring uke's arm towards you.

BONUS!

Thanks for Youval and Sensei for staying after and showing me this...

7. Kesa-Gatame
So say I throw you in ippon and fall on you, I will...

Cradle neck and place myself in judo fall position
Pivot my hips so that way I am leaning on your ribs and can push off of my heels
Drop my shoulder onto your head to prevent a bridge
Trap arm and raise head

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home