Tuesday, November 21, 2006

November 19, Sensei Coleman

The ballad of the bruised and battered Jujitsuka...

Last sunday Sensei Coleman said "Most of the time you practice technique, but sometimes you practice spirit" for the past few days I have been running on fumes. I have been working long hours, not a lot of sleep. But I have been staying on top of my training, making sure I hit the gym even if it's midnight. For 7 weeks I've lost 5lbs then gained it back. It's very much like jujitsu, it's about spirit, not stopping, not giving up, even though it seems nothing is improving. Today I kept negotiating with myself whether or not to go to class, but attendance is important to me. The way I used to be, I would put things off, then put them off forever. This morning I woke up so sore, my wrist hurts, my shoulders, knee, oh and I broke a toe yesterday, but I figured hey what the hell...let's go to class! ¡Spirit!

1. Striking ( 1-2-Uppercut )
• Jab lead, rotate hip
• Strike Opposite, but not for
• Upper cut like you were clipping with ippon. Keep arm close to your body.

More and more I am beginning to understand the importance of tendon strength in these types of exercises. When I workout now I work out for tendon / joint strength and flexibility. The trainer I work with hasn't implemented any wrist exercises, hit a few wrong uppercuts and you will understand the importance.

2. Harai-Goshi
• Pull uke into you, and raise your hands to about eye level to pull uke off balance and put them on their toes
• Step into uke's opposite foot, cross step between uke's legs
• Pivot and place foot on outside of uke's leg and lift

This throw is very complicated, even laying it out in a drawing is very complicated in thought, though to actually execute is quite simple once you get your body in the appropriate position.

3. Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi
• Holding Kenka Yotsu ( Judo Hold ) move backwards
• Pull on uke's arm bringing their arm into your ear, drop opposite hand into their chest, and up into thier ear, slide to the side placing opposite foot over their ankle

*Note : Keep elbow ( the one driving the lapel up ) out of your ribs, let it slide past. Being a bigger guy sometimes I get in the way of myself. Maybe something to think about when with a bigger guy.

I keep going for this throw. I want to get it right. It's so simple, deceptive. Even when your thrown, the ukemi is challenging because I even think to myself "Hmmm my foot, hey my head is moving, now my shoulders, am I falling? I guess I am...but my foot is still on the ground? Hey that ground is coming up real fast...."

Fight Fight Fight for the ankle block until you get it right.

4. 1-2-Kosotogari
• Jab
• Strike with opposite hand
• Cut across uke with jabbing hand and sweep

*Note : When I uke and am not swept, it's normally because I am being kicked in the shin or the side of the knee ( OUCH! ) When I am kicked in the shin, I ricochet back onto my foot, maybe there is a switch to Deashi Harai?

Somewhere around here, my body didn't want to work and became cement. We did some stuff with kicks or something. But hey it happens. When we bow in I tell myself, "Nothing else matters but this. Your ukemi will be perfect and you will take every technique without complaint or hesitation. Just keep going. Don't stop, can't stop, won't stop."

1 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taking a pause from packing me bags for a loooong vacation to reply...

You know, woody, I think there just might be a distinction to clarify in the world of spirit.

You remind me of how I used to grow up with the "no pain, no gain" mentality. This kind of mental fueling to drive one's spirit was pretty effective for me, so long as I used it for the right place and time. It helped me build a great deal of patience and perserverance -and hope.

But one of my biggest regrets in life was to build up a tough spirit, but not keep it real. For example, i would "train" while injured, where at one point I caused almost irreparable muscular damage (micro-tears + scarring) in my arms. More specifically, I used to play the piano 8 hours a day, then got tendinitis, carpal tunnel, RSi - the whole 9 yards- and STILL played 8 hours a day - in excruciating pain- because I was damned determine I would be a concert pianist and play Beethoven concerti and sonatas with the state symphony.

I did all this with my tiny Mozart fingers, slaving away at the keyboard while injured, until I was bound in braces and slings and could not even feed myself or write for a good year. That royally bit the dust.

So I had to adjust my attitude with an "overdo, you're through" mentality. By this, I started to approach the world of practicing and training with great enthusiasm and effort, but if you're injured or suffering, recognize that is the body's way of naturally sayin' "yo, can I heal, please?"

So, I listen to pain more. I look at pain with more distinction to allow my body the chance to speak for itself.

Through this, I feel that I can avoid the trap of having just one big spirit and mind (and ego) driving my body to the ground.

And if I am injured and I want to train, I think my spirit would also benefit from additional work off the mat, such as getting to know my body, trying to keep it real, trying to prevent the injury from happening again with some cross training, etc...

phew. bottomline is that i wouldn't want you to train to the point that you get so beat up (not just sore, but really injured) so that you have to take a whole lot of time off...that would bite....i mean, who would i get to throw in a fun morote seionage??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home