Tuesday, October 10, 2006

October 7, Sensei Maria

Today I had a special treat because Sensei Ivan came to class. Sensei Steven was always telling me to pay attention to Sensei Ivan because of the way he moves and his power. Before class I saw him and Sempai Zhenya in randori "judo style" then they moved to jujitsu and aikido. It's interesting to watch them move through various techniques that are the same ( judo ippon, aikido ippon ) yet so different in excecution.

1. Roll out and Defend
Ok, so I just try to get out of the way, that's all I try to do. So I hitch step entry for Sensei Coleman, and as I see him rotate to punch me, I kick him in the stomach. When I come up I have his hand positioned for Kotegaesh, and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Everyone is yelling "finish it" and I have no odea what to do, it was embarrassing. So after class I asked Sensei Coleman What to do he said :

• Keep moving first and foremost!
• If you are good on your rolls you can look behind you
• Tai-sabaki in and out
• Punching and kicking is acceptable until you get something

2. Warm up "Hitch Step to knee"
From a straight punch,. hitch step entry to knee. Sensei Ivan kept punching me because I wasn't moving fast enough. It didn't hurt, but he said I was stopping on impact and to keep moving. After hitch step use uke for support and throw your knee into thier solar plexis.

3. Hitch to Knee to Kaitenage
• Hitch step entry
• Knee into solar plexis
• As foot comes down, deliver blow to the back of the neck
• Lift uke's arm and point to opposite shoulder

I really like Kaitenage. It always feels like terrible things can happen to you in the position you are put in. Working with Sempai Zhenya became a real challenge because she takes you so low, it's almost easier to do a face fall, you also get a sense at what would happen if you didn't know how to roll.

4. Strike to Solar plexis + Ouchi-gari from round house
• 1/2 Tai-sabaki and check knee
• Short downward punch, like atemi kata, to the solar plexis
• Sweep inside foot

In my head I kept reiterating "Be there first" something I heard the Sensei's say countless times. The first time I worked with Dixon I wasn't prepared and took a really hard shot to the gut, which was good because once again you see what would happen if you are not trained to prepare for that.

5. Close the Window(failure) to Sweep(failure) to Ippon
Failing techniques is easy, it's what I do best ;) but when you get it right and the person wasn't expecting it, wow! Not only do you feel cool, you really respect ukemi.

Working with Sensei Ivan he showed me something about ippon that I found really helpful
• On the clip you should see Uke
• You should feel pressure on the shoulder not pulling the shoulder
• Stay connected to uke
• By turning your body you are throwing them

After doing it like that ippon really felt different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home