Saturday, September 16, 2006

Saturday 16, Sensei Maria

1. Uda-nage ( but drop )
a. Uke grab cross hand
b. Turn palm upwards like you are carrying something & brace elbow
c. Lock elbow and drop throwing uke to the ground head first*
*Note: This actually works, I grazed my head! So roll soon!
After this we worked in multiples. Last thursday Youval told me that I make a mean face every time we work out, he said when he sees it he has to try not to laugh. I think that's pretty funny, but we also talked about how your facial expressions kind of "give you away." So today I tried to have the buddha face, the expression-less face ( there is a word for this , I have to look it up ) Sensei Coleman has this face down.
Somewhere as we were doing multiples, as tori I let my arm get away from me, I pulled it back and inadvertently pulled something in my shoulder. I think after that I took some sloppy rolls because my shoulder was irritated and jammed it up real good. On our next technique as I pivoted I felt it really hurt so I excused myself and grabbed some ice.
I really hate excusing myself, but I really don't want to be macho, and wind up really hurting myself. On the sidelines I made sure I could rotate my shoulder 360, gave it a few flexes notices nothing was seriously damamged and got back on the mat.

2. Katana-nage from same side
KEEP YOUR HAND!
a. Hitch step entry
b. Make like you are going to roll and watch uke roll...hooray!

3. Working with Multiples
I think with working with Sensei Coleman I have moved my brain from "Freaking out" down to "anxious" when it comes to working with multiples. Today with my new buddha face I didn't feel nervous starting but as I started moving I found myself getting too excited and my work suffering. Except when I got to Jeannie. With Jeannie I really try to take my time and be soft so that way I don't accidentally fall on her, or pivot wrong, or whatever. It's not so much to protect her as it is to protect myself from using brute force without intention, because of this Sensei Maria says that I do the technique well. So I guess I need to just focus on technique and being soft.
No more strength Woody!

4. Kickin' and punchin'
Yep we did a little of this.
Big thing I learned was "The Slip"

Wikipedia says : Slip - Slipping rotates the body slightly so that an incoming punch passes harmlessly next to the head. As the opponent's punch arrives, the boxer sharply rotates the hips and shoulders. This turns the chin sideways and allows the punch to "slip" past.

Sensei Steven dropped this little gem on me. It makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately the rest of my sparring my head just wasn't on right. My shoulder was throbbing and I was focusing on not focusing on the discomfort. When I was sparring with Sensei Maria I kept telling myself "Come on Woody" I even said it allowed, whoops!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home