Wednesday, September 13, 2006

September 12, Sensei Steve


1. Katana-Nage ( from cross hand wrist grab )

( from previous post ) From grab, motion like sepokaiten, to break balance of uke and turn wrist, tai-sabaki to enter and shoot down, like we were rolling, to point uke to floor.

Working out with Youval is great. He pointed out that I was moving before he had applied the throw. By allowing him to take me off balance, I received the cue to roll, as opposed to throwing myself.

2. Uda-Nage ( from cross hand wrist grab )
a. As uke grabs hand, hitch step keep hand in your center
b. Draw opposite hand up elbow locking as you pull the active hand into your center ( this should create a lock and uke should move onto tippy toes.
c. Cut as if you have a sword, allow uke to roll

I noticed on this that when imagined the arm as a sword, I applied the lock correctly, but when I thought of locking Sempai Elizabeth’s arm it did not. Maybe there is a difference between imagining and thinking, the more thinking I do usually the poorer the technique

3. Pull down from Chi-Sao ( spelling? )
With arms crossing each other, uke reaches into tori’s center, tori pushes into uke’s center, back and forth.

a. Pull uke into you
b. Atemi to stomach
c. Tai-Sabaki around uke’s back
d. Throw to the ground.

4. Standing Kimura
a. Close the window entry
b. Reach over to apply standing kimura
c. Pivot and throw.

This was a lot more difficult then on Saturday, I guess I was just having a bad day, I don’t know.


5. Kimura
a. Position uke's arm like it was waving
b. From underneath grab wrist with furthest arm
c. From over the arm grab your wrist with arm closet to uke ( this applies the lock )
d. Pull arm into uke's side

Interesting points that were made doing this technique. As uke, you would pull your elbows into your face to protect yourself. As tori, you can trap these hands, which would put you into position to grab the lock.

When you mount from the side, place all your weight directly on uke’s chest to prevent uke from bridging.

When you mount from the side, knees should be tight into uke, and knee strikes are there for the taking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home