Wednesday, August 30, 2006

August 29, Sempai Cari

Tonight Sempai Cari taught class, which was cool because whenever I work out with sempai she usually drops a few words of wisdom per technique, this time I get the words with every technique.

1. Warm-up
I can't get over that I can do all those crazy pushups now. Hopefully soon i'll be promoted to monster like Cari and Jenny.

2. Kotegaesh from aihanmi katatedori ( same side wrist grab )
As uke grabs slide lateral while turning hand up, ( a long time ago when I studied aikido the sempai there said "serve the platter", this reminds me of the movement ) cradle uke's wrist with opposite hand and cut fingers away from wrist. Drop hips and lock.

As we "serve the platter" turn hand so that way the pinky is facing up, which allows your hand to escape from the clutches of uke.

3. Sankyu from aihanmi katatedori ( same side wrist grab )
When I got home I did some research on Sankyu, it appears that sankyu is the "essence of th spiral." As tori, we enter and lock on a spiral, we takedown on the spiral, we can even pin on the spiral. Just been thinking about that.

4. Katana-nage from aihanmi katatedori ( same side wrist grab )
From grab, motion like sepokaiten, to break balance of uke and turn wrist, tai-sabaki to enter and shoot down, like we were rolling, to point uke to floor.

I noticed that on my left side I would fall back a bit from off balance of tai sabaki, this created a rocking motion that caused uke to rise ( stand back up )...not good.

5. Tenchinage ( Heaven and Earth )
With iremi entering, non lead hand reaches to earth, while lead hand reaches to heaven to (possibly) strike uke.

I noticed on this that though the entry is a straight line, the hip rolls back and forth, one roll for earth, the other for heaven. I don’t know if this makes sense at all.

6. Garuma-Nage
Tai-sabaki entry, guide uke’s arm across your chest for arm bar, step out to shikodachi for drop

I was working with Youval on this, it’s quite a challenge with his height and long arms.

7. Jujitsu and losing weight
So for some reason yesterday was the day everyone started telling me that I’ve lost weight. It’s about time!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding! Since starting at Eizan-Ryu I’ve gone from 307lbs to 247lbs.( just 27lbs more to go to my next goal! ) I really am amazed that I’ve carried the motivation as long as I’ve had, and I truly could not be on this journey without you all, thank you very much!

Jujitsu + Proper nutrition = weight loss! (maybe a little weights too)

8. Quote of the night
“Do I need to knee you harder?” - Jeannie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home