Saturday, August 19, 2006

Be in the throw ( Saturday class )

Hey all, while Jeannie's taking a break I'll be bloggin' on the classes. I hope you enjoy the format!

1. Drills for Ippon Seionage
a. Kuzushi
b. Clip + Load
c. Throw ( "weeeeee" )
d. Note on ukemi
a. Kuzushi
Before we began our throws, Sensei Coleman engaged us in a series of drills breaking down the finer points of Ippon Seionage, the first drill was of Kuzushi, or breaking the balance of uke, a very important thing that was said by Sensei was that "if you're shorter raise the arm high, if you are taller drop your hips," I found this immensely beneficial because by dropping ( even though I may be an 1/8" taller ) not only does it take uke off balance, it also positions your hips underneath uke's hips, making for a more efficient throw. As you "Check your watch, answer the phone" make sure your watch checking arm has the pinky facing up to insure proper off-balance.( Thanks Sensei Steve )
b. Clip and Load
After breaking balance ( "Check your watch, answer the phone ") clip uke's arm with bicep. While working with Dixon I noticed when he clipped the arm deep into the armpit it seemed to give the most efficient method of trapping the arm, it also set up a nice ramp to slide off his back for ukemi. For loading slide feet together and rise slightly, by dropping my hips loading feels very effortless. ( "i've been doing modified squats at the gym to reference this throw so watch out! " )
c. Throw
Two main things I picked up, keep your knees bent and focus on touching your throwing shoulder to your opposite knee.
d. Note on Ukemi
I noticed today that the breakfall of Ippon seems to work in a 1-2-3 combination, meaning 1- First shoulder goes over tori 2- Second shoulder 3- Slap the mat ( as second shoulder goes over slap immediately ) using this method gave me a nice slap and i didn't fell any stress on my body.

2. De Ashi Harai (?) Ankle Throw
With kuzushi from Ippon ( "Check watch, answer the phone" ) place lead side foot against uke's ankle trapping the foot, look away and spin body to pull uke into the fall.
*Note on ukemi - take the fall as soon as the spin happens, if not you will land on your knee
The throw is awesome, btw

3. Atemi drills
Atemi wears me out, but I noticed by pulling my elbows into my sides, my arms rest on my lats keeping them up for me...hooray!

4. Tenchi-Nage
I like this throw, but today it didn't like me.
From a push, hitch step ( not a regular step, and make sure you drop you hips! ) , raise non-lead arm while guiding lead arm to the ground, and wee!
2 big things with me were, entering deeper ( this is a challenge for me ) and dropping.
*Note on Ukemi - don't give what you can't take, if you can't take a 100% throw, don't give 100% ukemi-ship, also you may think you're at 80% when you are really at 98%, be a mindful uke Woody!

5. Tenchi-nage Ikkyu
From a push, hitch step ( not a regular step, and make sure you drop you hips! ) , raise non-lead arm, atemi and move into ikkyu ( you can also move into sankyu )

6. Multiples
I like doing multiples, it's a real challenge to keep myself calm, I can feel my heart in my throat when it begins. As we were doing multiples I was too far from Dixon when throwing him and used a lot of strength, I need to not get too excited, but I did notice as I was struggling I had an uki-goshi...maybe next time.

Oh! and by moving forward no one can push you from behind. MOVE FORWARD!

7. Closing Thoughts of Sensei Coleman.
I really love when we close class. A main reason is that my water bottle is ready for me next to the mat, another is reflecting on what we did. This week it was discussed that this art was created 100-200-500-1000 years ago, and when we practice our art we are in the same place that they were in. Just like when a poet writes, we can be in the same place by writing a poem ourselves. When we throw, be in the throw.

--See you tomorrow!

3 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

on 5.
when bringing uke elbow up, keep your elbow close to uke's body, atemi, cut down on uke's elbow first,be behind uke arm, then pivot away from center line while doing ikkyu.

thanks for bloggin' woody!

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sensei coleman calls it an "ankle block" - btw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home