Sunday, August 20, 2006

Happy birthday Sensei Coleman

Happy birthday Sensei Coleman!!!!

Okay tonight's session was particular brutal for me, ( in a good way! ) here's the break down.

1. Ukemi practice
During breakfall in ukemi practice, I've wondered where the senseis and sempais get their height. I think it may be from the direct thrust of simultaneously springing off the front foot and kicking up the back. On my second attempt of my left side, I deliberately tried to hammer my foot into the ground as hard as I could. The fall felt better, and I slapped harder form what seemed to be a slightly higher fall.

2. Close the Window x 50, Ikkyu from Backhand x 50

Close the window : Hitch step at an angel, roll shoulder, DROP!
Ikkyu from Backhand : Hitch step at an angle. Place closest hand above elbow to control upper arm, place far hand onto wrist, roll & drop.

So for Sensei Coleman's 50th birthday we were all greeted by doing 50 techniques over and over. Close the window is simple enough, hitch step at angle, roll the shoulder and let uke drop...but ukeing 50 times was the battle for me. Below are the three main things I picked up :
a. Endurance
My endurance is terrible, and embarrassing because once I am tired my energy takes forever to reclaim. As class progressed I felt myself widdling down to what felt like nothing.
b. Breathing
The times that I was felt like I was nothing, I noticed my breathing was out of control,( Adi pointed this out to me and motioned for me to control my breathing, because he's a good sempai like that ) a few long ( 5 count ) breaths seemed to pull me back together.
c. Keeping it together
It's difficult to hold a positive mental attitude when you are exhausted from doing what others seem to be doing so well at. I found that very negative thoughts started creeping in when my breath was out of control. By breathing it helped me recenter myself.

The main thing I picked up here wasn't so much that working soft is a way to conserve energy, ( though I did get that point! ) but breathing and staying centered is a way to conserve energy and preventing chaos from your mind when you are exhausted.

3. Roll shoulder from stepping inside ( real name? )
Forgive the above description. I like this technique.
Hitch step to the inside of uke, checking their knee and rolling shoulder to drop. As when rolling shoulder be sure to take uke off at an angle.
When working with Jeannie she asked "Is there a sweep?" It was then that I noticed we were set up for Kouchi-gari, sweet!

4. Windmill to irimi-nage
From roundhouse parry to windmill, when uke has turned atemi chin upwards and drop uke. I noticed by dropping your hips the windmill has a whipping effect.

5. Boom Boom Sweep ( Ko Soto Gari )
I was happy to work with Cari again b/c her "boom boom sweep" leaves me on the floor without knowing how I got there.

From straight punch, parry punch ( Boom ), roll shoulder ( Boom ) and sweep. Follow up with atemi. *I noticed that the face is exposed for a nice knee, or heel, HOORAY!

6. Shihonage
So by this time I was completely gassed and my first round as tori found myself doing stupid things, e.g. not keeping contact with uke. So I slowed down and made everything as precise as possible.

Roundhouse punch, parry to windmill, with lead hand turn uke's wrist and use your elbow to raise uke, with uke raised duck head, pivot, and curl uke's hand to touch shoulder blade, drop hips

7. Roll Shoulder - Pivot Hip
I was doing this technique with Jenny, I was in la la land, could someone please advise.

8. Eat cake
Since I have a black belt in cake eating I am qualified to instruct. Cut cake, plunge fork in cake, stick fork in mouth...repeat.

See ya tuesday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home