Friday, September 08, 2006

September 7, Sensei Maria

I came to class early to observe the aikido class that runs previous to our class. Pretty interesting. They are very quiet and don’t use a lot of mat for falls. The aikido sensei said something that later Sensei Maria reiterated which gets the vote for quote of the day.

“Woody if you just punch them, they will only bleed. But if you throw them…”
– Sensei Maria

1. Nikkyu from katatedori ( same side wrist grab )

a. Move laterally with obi knot facing tori
b. Rotate wrist bringing it to chest ( just below collarbone)
c. Use body to lean into wrist and apply lock ( lean into wrist by bending front knee )
d. Catch elbow and push through ear to push uke to ground
e. Drive foot under the shoulder and bend knee, place arm against knee creating a juji-gatame( arm bar), fold wrist and point finger to opposite should blade.

*Note: When moving laterally, stay on the line, it seemed to be the difference between giving the lock and receiving a punch from uke. If you move too far you can always give a mae gari ( front kick ). Also keep lead leg in front of you, if not you expose your reproductive organs to strikes. Keep posture during lock.

2. Nikkyu from Yokomen-uchi (Round House)

Same principles as above except for entry.
a. Move in directly to mirror uke’s position
b. Atemi to Uke and slide to catch punching hand ( have opposite hand up to prevent uke from hitting you )
c. Use body to lean into wrist and apply lock ( lean into wrist by bending front knee )
d. Catch elbow and push through ear to push uke to ground
e. Drive foot under the shoulder and bend knee, place arm against knee creating a juji-gatame( arm bar), fold wrist and point finger to opposite should blade.

*Note : Atemi to lock is 1 movement. As Uke keep hand up to protect your face. Also keep mouth closed and teeth tight to prevent any bounce that could hurt your teeth or jaw.

3. Ude-Nage ( Arm Throw ) from ai hanmi katatedori ( cross hand wrist grab )

a. As uke grabs hand, hitch step keep hand in your center
b. Draw opposite hand up elbow locking as you pull the active hand into your center ( this should create a lock and uke should move onto tippy toes.
c. Cut as if you have a sword, allow uke to roll

4. Ude-Nage from Yokomen-uchi ( Roundhouse punch )
a. Move in directly to mirror uke’s position
b. Atemi to Uke and slide to catch punching hand ( have opposite hand up to prevent uke from hitting you ) windmill to put uke’s arm in front of you.
c. Draw opposite hand up elbow locking as you pull the active hand into your center ( this should create a lock and uke should move onto tippy toes.
d. Cut as if you have a sword, allow uke to roll

5. Ko Uchi Gari from Kenka Yotsu ( Judo Hold opposite grips )
a. From moving with uke, as uke steps forward break balance ( kuzushi ) by pulling on lapel and pushing against sleeve
b. As uke expects rhythm, pivot foot and circle in to grab back of uke’s heel
c. Step back or drop to ground for ne-waza. Do not stay in between legs per Sensei Maria’s instructions

6. Ko Uchi Gari from Tsuki ( Straight Punch )

a. Hitch step entry
b. Grab Uke’s foot with bottom of your foot and sweep
*Note : this technique requires driving into uke at an angle to put them off balance. Sliding in fast enough makes the sweep a garnish.

7. Impromptu Wrist Grabs

When I was preparing for my test I would run over what I would do for wrist grabs over and over and over again in my head. Finally my test came and wrist grabs came and went so fast I didn’t even remember what I did.

Last night when we did wrist grabs, I went blank. I had no idea what I was doing. I used a lot of force and was hard on Sempai Adi. I felt like I dropped the ball.

I think that is a lesson in itself because as a beginner, I am know seeing the the fruit of my hard work, and I’m excited.

But I don’t know how to just “turn it on.” I guess I have to treat every class as a test and every test as a class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home