Monday, September 04, 2006

September 3, Sensei Coleman

Bowing in it was Sensei Coleman, Sensei Steve...and little ol' me. This should be interesting.

1. 1-2 Combination strike to the head
Use open palms and drive forward. Do not recover by stepping back. In the combination, 1 is the jab, 2 is the strike, 3 has not happened yet, so stay forward.

2. 1-2 Combination strike to the head ( blocking )
So I am blocking Sensei Steve's punches with my arms, and every block is putting me in agonizing pain...something's not right. Sensei Coleman stops and shows me to pivot my hips and bend my knees, but not to move my hands. Miraculous the pain was gone and i could actually evade the punches. I'm putting this in the home repertoire.

3. 1-2 Combination strike to the head and body
I like striking. I like to believe that I have some power, but now that I am using my hips it really feels like I am driving through the pad. I had always heard guys talking about "Yeah you gotta punch through the person, blah blah blah..." but now I really now how to do it. A friend of mine works for Segway and he told me that the gyroscope on the Segway is controlled by the hips...kind of makes since now.

4. Uchikomi to Ippon Seionage
In my limited research I found out that Uchikomi, when we fit in actually translates to invasion. Interesting. So I had to invade Sensei Steven 10 times and throw on 10. Here's the breakdown :
a. Slide foot into uke, pull on uke's sleeve ( check watch ), and pull on uke's lapel ( answer phone )
I kept moving my back foot, please do not do this, per Sensei Coleman
b. Clip Uke's arm with your bicep
c. Pivot, loading uke onto back, turn and throw.
So this was really beating me up b/c Sensei Steven was not giving me any leadway (well he was probably giving me a lot and I just didn't know it, haha!) but for some reason this entry just gives me problems. I practice it at home all the time, I don't know what my deal is. I started getting frustrated, but quickly shut it off and just focused on doing all the moves as precise as possible and on the throw keeping my head up.

5. Uchikomi to Osoto Gari
Big thing I learned today. And we all have heard it before. Uke should be off balance before we sweep in Osoto Gari. Couple of things about the uchikomi.
a. Pull uke's arm to back corner, Grab uke's lapel ( with your wrist facing you ) and raise.
b. Step into uke, you should see uke's heels in your peripheral
c. Sweep like a pendulum
The photo here is from my yellow belt test, you can clearly see how none of these principles are applied, Sorry Adi!



6. Boom Boom Sweep x 20
Hitch step, parry striking hand, rise to pull down uke's shoulder ( keep elbow tucked into you )

After taking 20 consecutive falls about 3 times, I'm worn out. Sensei Coleman instructed me, to stay connected to tori, no matter how hard it gets, to make sure my eyes are on tori, and my gaurd is up. The idea he said was to remain lucid in my thoughts while being tired. The rest of the class was dedicated to this venture, my technique became atrocious but I kept telling myself "good posture, don't freak out or get frustrated."

7. Garuma Tai-otosh a.k.a. Close the Window x20
You may think you have close the window down...but you are wrong!
I don't know what was going on with me, I was just trying to get through and keep my composure.

I really enjoy Sunday classes because Sensei Coleman really pushes me, and in this class I was really pushed with physical and mental endurance. It is very difficult being tired and being corrected. It is difficult to not become frustrated and succumb into the deep well of panic. Ultimately this is what is going to make me better.

When I studied Aikido, I used to be the only one at the afternoon sessions, and the Sensei would go on and on about how "It wasn't worth his time for 1 student", and that I should pay a private lesson price. Walking in on sunday I felt really privileged to have 2 black belts training with me, and feeling secure knowing that they would never ever say something like that to me. I tried very very hard to keep up, and I appreciate everyone's commitment very very much.

2 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a good writer, woody! I wish I could handle those japanese names...I probably need to hear them more.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

Haha!

Thanks for the compliment Jeannie.

I use the names as ways of containing information, e.g.

Ippon = One
Seio = Shoulder / Arm
Nage = Throw

One Arm Throw
It all grows from there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home