Sunday, September 10, 2006

September 9, Sensei Steve

1. Tai Sabaki Kata, Ukemi Kata, Atemi Kata...
I'm happy to do katas again. It seems like there is a lot of philosophy and concern involved. I am definitely going t be focusing on ding these at least a few times a day, and before class as a warm up.

For a breakdown of Katas please see manual.

2. Kotegaesh 1-2-3 ( 4-5 ) Dixon
Something amazing happened today. It happened maybe 2 moths ago with ippon, but now it finally happened with Kotegeash and other wrist locks...my break fall was okay. Not good or great but okay. I actually landed, felt my arm smacking and nothing else. It was pretty cool.

3. Uchikomi to Ippon, throw on fifth.
We all know this drill. I just slowed down to make sure I clip.

4. Ippon w / Dropped Knee from Pull Back Mug
This gave a really hard time. I really didn't want Dixon to come down on my knee, and I was being so cautious I became confused, etec etc. Then it made sense.
a. Uke pulls back
b. Instead of stepping to the outside like Osotogari step to the inside
c. Drop knee that steps and twist
d. Follow up with a straight back and control of uke's arm, atemi or lock accordingly. Arm bars are nice here.

5. Kesa-Gatame ( Scarf Hold )


From a technique like the last :
a. Hook uke's head and lift up on neck
b. With head into your chest, push arm down trapping it
c. With head in arms lean back stretching your body out for pin.

6. Kesa-Gatame Escape
Before tori has hooked head
a. Reach around ribs applying pressure to the floating rib
b. Bridge from feet and "shrimp" your body to reverse.
c. Relax thoughout technique
Note* Use your feet to bridge or it will too difficult to get out of.

7. Escape from Closed Guard
Uke puts you in a closed guard see below

a. Push against stomach to rise
b. With gap created by rise, grab bottom half of leg, and twist
c. Apply ankle lock, or leg lock

8. Kimura ( Reverse Ude-Garami )
Name for Masahiko Kimurawho defeated Helio Gracie with a kimura
a. Position uke's arm like it was waving
b. From underneath grab wrist with furthest arm
c. From over the arm grab your wrist with arm closet to uke ( this applies the lock )
d. Pull arm into uke's side

9. Standing Kimura
a. Close the window entry
b. Reach over to apply standing kimura
c. Pivot and throw.

This was a really great class, it really forced me to stay relaxed and to keep breathing. I guess when we are stressed we stop breathing, which is silly but seems true. We haven't grappled in a while and I could definitely see a difference between how I move now as opposed to before when I was carrying a lot of weight.

See you tommorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home