Sunday, September 17, 2006

September 17, Sensei Coleman

That's right I made it! I ventured into the circle of Sensei Coleman too!
So I hurt my shoulder. I was gonna skip class but I figured, "it's hurt not injured" and as I thought of skipping class I felt worse and worse, like I wasn't giving it 100%. Normally if I'm sick i am 100% sure I will not go, but if I'm just tired I force myself to go. This was a force, and I'm glad I went b/c I was the only one there and I got the wrath of Sensei Coleman all to myself.

1. Strike Strike KosotoGari
a. Strike open hand with lead hand
b. Strike across uke's body with reverse hand
c. Sweep uke's foot from the outside

2. Strike Strike Ouchi Gari
a. Strike open with lead hand
b. Strike reverse with opposite hand
c. Sweep from the inside of uke's leg
d. Push down on uke toward the corner a la close the window.
*Note : I can do it slow, but not fast. So I broke it down sequentially b/c it's not all one movement.

3. Lapel Grab to Ikkyu old school style.
Tonight we represented the old school of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukiyo-e">"the floating world"</a>
a. From lapel grab atemi jaw of uke
b. After atemi, re-Atemi backhand into uke's fist as you kick into the groin ( glad I wear a cup )
c. As your leg comes down Ikkyu is applied, press hand against elbow to drive uke to the ground.
d. Lock em up
If you read this and think "Golly that seems painful" well I have to admit that it is. It really really is.

4. Close the window, hand through the face style
a. Hitch step entry
b. As you enter place lead hand on uke's shoulder and roll
c. Keep opposite hand to protect you head

5. Katana Nage from Round-house old school style
a. Atemi Uke
b. Post-Atemi, glide arm dow to create windmill, catch with opposite arm like shihonage and turn wrist
c. Hitch step to throw

6. Shihonage from Roundhouse
a. Atemi Uke
b. Post-Atemi, glide arm dow to create windmill, catch with opposite arm and turn wrist
c. Pivot and throw
d. When locking with uke's arm pointing north ( not normal lock ) drop to one knee and apply lock at same moment, creating exquisite pain.

7. Old School Ippon from Round House
a. Atemi Uke
b. Post-Atemi, glide arm dow to create windmill, catch with opposite arm and turn wrist, enter with hips and throw
Now you may be thinking "Woody does this mean both arms are trapped when you take the fall?" I say "Why yes that is very true"

So in all i'm happy I went. Cardio wise it was pretty intense b/c we didn't have the short pauses between techniques to catch breath. Focus -wiser it was challenging because I was really being pushed and was answering questions with "yes" instead if "Hai"...were did that come from?
This is why I like Sensei Colemen's class b/c I always seem to red-line, being on the verge of something I do not think I can do...yet miraculously doing them. As I walked home my body felt sore as usual but not unusually sore, so I know I made the right call.

3 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Adi Zukerman said...

Reading this Woody, I can only think of one thing. You da man

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

No you da man

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

true dat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home