Friday, December 22, 2006

a thought on "leverage" in eizan ryu style

woody mentioned earlier how sensei maria said that eizan ryu jujitsu style was one that
could be summed up in 2 techniques. Then he mentioned about "strength" in a technique....

I was thinking about the aspect of strength more. But I question whether "strength" is the right word to describe and understand the experience. I don't know much about other jujitsu styles. But with eizan ryu jujitsu, I do not feel - so far at least - that I am pushed to be strong or apply strength to be successful in executing technique. What I do feel that I am trained to learn and apply is the art through practice.

And the art teaches me - at a fundamental level - to leverage and make efficient use of time and effort to execute a technique that resolves conflict.

And in this, I do not see that strength is key. What do you think? I think of "leverage" as word that captures more of the experience and helps me focus on whats important from a student perspective.

I think of "leverage" because I see more of efficient application of physics - what works + what doesn't work. I see how the direction, positioning and acceleration of one's mass and its bodily parts, working together to execute force (in terms of physics not muscular exertion) leveraged against another's weakness. All for the purpose of protecting oneself. It's hard to find a right word to describe this aspect. But it doesn't feel like muscling, effort, strength, power, even though the technique can unleash extraordinary pain or submission.

If anything, I feel I'm learning to save my energy and strength for when I really need it , like when I have to kick, punch, run, etc to get somewhere. I don't know. Those are just a few of my caffeinated thoughts.

1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

When did I mention strength?

I think if I mentioned strength, you could easily replace it with leverage.
&
I agree with your observation.

Being a big guy, I can push through people if needed too. It's my "special power", but it doesn't mean I can do it for long periods of time, or do it effectively. I have chosen to make it a priority to not use my strength and to be gentle, smooth, and when frustrated to drop as opposed to grab, etc.

I think if you were to talk about strength as a concept, I think Eizan definitely teaches you about strength. Last night Sensei Coleman hit me with an atemi that was strong, and created Kuzushi. It hurt really bad, to the point that my brain went "HEY SOMETHING'S WRONG!" and it took the entire session and into my session to get over it...but I got over it. Not saying that it was me being tough, it was just me knowing that I was hurt, nmot injured, and that I could keep going.

Know what I'm saying?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home