Sunday, December 24, 2006

December 23, Sensei Maria

1. Warm up
Somewhere at 35 push ups, they get difficult, at 40, they are hard, at 41, they seem impossible, Jeannie mentioned earlier about strength. I know that there is Tomoshi (spelling?) or spirit. Sensei Coleman said that some days you do the technique, some days it just doesn't work out, so you cultivate your spirit. Every time we do pushups I have to really push it ( no pun intended ) to get to 50. I still can't believe I can get to 50. I remember when 20 was a challenge. With that said that's what makes me get to 42, 43, 44 etc. When I start yelling and being a jerk around 48 and 49, I'm in agony!!!!!

2. Roll Out and Defend
Maybe it's the holidays. It's not that I don't like them, I love watching kids get so excited, and I love getting my nieces and little brothers something they want for christmas, but everyone else seems to drive me crazy. My patience is worn to the tread and today I kept getting frustrated...

After rollout and defend I was livid. I embarrassed myself by being frustrated, which made me more frustrated. I just can't seem to make the transition from rolling to moving fast enough. When I get up my eyes are wobbling, and I can't focus.

After class I apologized to Sensei Maria about getting frustrated. She told me that it's okay to be frustrated because it means you care, and that she had issues with roll out and defend. She recommend it that I treat it just like my breakfalls, before and after class until it gets better.

Ugh!

3. Freestylin'
Techniques from straight punch, round house, etc etc.

I really enjoyed this. Being able to just go from technique to technique. Once we (Gearoid, Dixon, Janet, Jeannie and I ) stumbled together, fumbling for techniques. Now it's about getting them right, getting the off-ballance right, altering the footwork, getting the clip, etc.

4. Step to the Inside ( From Round house )
• Step in a straight line
• Check uke's knee
• Roll Shoulder into Corner to drop

The hardest thing ( to me ) about this technique is to move in a straight line, once the knee is checked, you can turn this into Ouchi Gari, or strike to the the face.

5. Close the Window to Shihonage-ish throw ( From Round House )
• Close the window entry
• Hook under elbow, pivot hips ( this will trap the arm in a Shihonage lock )
• Take uke to the ground to lock

6. Sparring
So this week I sparred with Sensei Stephen, it was interesting because sparring with dixon for so many weeks I have become accustomed to dealing with a fighter who will come to me. Sensei Stephen has a blend of defensive / offensive, choosing his shots carefully. I had no idea what to do!!!!!!!! I just kept with the 1-2 sweeps. Nothing happened. He swept me...bleh!

3 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woodster said, "Somewhere at 35 push ups, they get difficult, at 40, they are hard, at 41, they seem impossible, Jeannie mentioned earlier about strength. I know that there is Tomoshi (spelling?) or spirit."

My comment about "strength" was related purely to executing technique. I was thinking that the bigger picture of executing technique a la "eizan ryu jujitsu" style reminded me of physics and business strategies - like "leverage" ....in other words, more efficient and effective work done for less time and effort.

But with any sport, strength, endurance, flexibility, etc all help - and I, too, learn those as well from practice.

BTW, I have a tip on push-ups, which I'll pass on: it's called "power to mass ratio." I learned this in cycling back in the day, so that we could power uphills with more ease.

Basically, the principle is that if you increase your strength/endurance training and lose extra weight, at same time, you can get more work done. You can do more push-ups or bike uphill faster, not just because you got suddenly strong all at once - but because you also created less work for the body with the loss of extra weight.

Just my 2 cents? Sorry if this sounds pedantic - but writing this also reminds me of improving my own physical conditioning as well!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

Your not being pedantic, I was just elaborating on and adding to the idea of strength.

I guess that what I meant was that even though I was in pain because of my muscles being fatigued, I kept going because I had become stronger in my will. So even though we are tired and fatigued...we still have spirit to get us through.

That's all I meant.

I hear you about power to mass, it's amazing how much losing weight has helped me, even at the gym all my lifts have increased dramatically as well as my endurance, but push-ups and weights are so different!!!! I find theat keeping my head looking forward as opposed to down helps me tremendously.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Adi Zukerman said...

Hmmm... what I do when we do push ups is watch my belt flop around on the mat. Having something to watch distracts me. Probably not something I should admit to, but its still true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home