Thursday, July 06, 2006

kotogaeshi + foot sweep

techniques

1 - same side wrist grab - step to side in line, still facing uke, using body to twist wrist out of grab
2 - same above but add kotogaeshi

3 - round house punch - same side arm comes up to block punc/protect face, other arm jabs ukes in front as you step in + take center, can knee kick into uke inner thigh of uke lead leg, foot sweep, roll shoulder. elizabeth says helps to step to take center as soon as you see leg coming forward

4 - blocking punches - turn on balls of feet, not hips when blocking punch, keep guard up and not collapsed to body, point fingers/hands to uke, always keep hands up after punching

5 - push - catch pushing arm @ forearm + bicep, step out to shikodachi, don't push with hands and drop em way below hips, shown by itai

6 -
same above but catch under elbow. maintain good straight posture for both

sensei coleman's advice is true
one way to fight feeling tired is to just come to class. Man, I was so tired. I tried swimming before class, but I think I sank to the bottom of the pool.

But in class - after a few sloppy ukemi + fighting drills, I got wired with a "oh crap, I don't want to get injured again. Wake up!" I woke up, for sure, by then and am still pretty wired. Janet + elizabeth shared this feeling... of getting tired in the evening waiting for class, and then you come to class and you get all wired up and awake till late.

being vigilant
It's a good coincidence to write more here and relate my learning in the dojo to the real world. I think I'm becoming more aware of things and reacting a bit more confidently to bizarro situations.

I start to observe people's behaviors more. Something that really gets me is how people use their eyes. It tells a lot about what they are or are not paying attention to, I think... like whether they're paying attention to themselves or to people around them. And I find it rather uncomfortable when someones eyes darts all over the place with no apparent focus.

And as I was getting off the subway station tonight, I took an extremely casual pace, walking slower than others. (Lee gave some good kicks to my gazelles.) And I stopped walking with the crowd to adjust my backpack. And I immediately noticed someone else stopped walking at the same time. Then I started walking a few steps, and the same figure starting walking, too. Then I stopped, and looked over. I saw a shifty-eyed guy, who stopped again, while darting glances toward my direction.

We did this "I step, he steps , I stop, he stops" two more times before I sensed that he wanted me to walk ahead of him, but I wanted him to walk ahead of me. So, I stopped turned and looked at the guy straight-on. I wasn't emotional inside or outside about it. No need to be.

Just made eye-contact: I looked directly at him whereas he darted several glances my direction, until he realized I was looking directly at him. He could've been polite, but the crowd had already cleared. Inside, I found this to be super wierd + fishy.

So, as much as I hate Dunkin Donuts, I popped inside one, got coffee, and calculated that if fishy boy was still there, I was not gonna budge. Coast was clear, but I felt better doing this than figuring out whether fishy boy was just being nice or not so nice.

So, hooray. Don't turn back to uke. Don't turn back to fishy folks who spook you.

1 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Adi Zukerman said...

Good job. Dunkin Donuts is, without a doubt, an excellent option for "getting out of the way." Plus, they have donuts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home