Wednesday, July 05, 2006

ikkyu + nikkyu on face punch

techniques
fighting drills
1 - opposite hamni, step in with heel of lead hand smacking uke forhead, other hand smacks forehead - alll helps create off balance and get in for foot sweep. step straight to uke, catch uke foot, pull straight forward, then lead hand pushes opposite uke shoulder

2- opposite hamni, hitch step in w/ lead hand catching uke lead hand and using it as "slingshot" to strike uke neck with w/ knife edge of hand, other hand catches uke head, elbow in, and fold uke head to uke belly as u step. think uke head goes down, not fwd.

defense
3 - forward punch - hitch step, lead arm parries punch, bring weight down, shiko dachi, bring weight down helps uke head go down, following hand grabs uke neck/head, bring it down toward own hip, creates even more off balance it seems, pivot hips, other hand swings uke attack arm behind uke and then vertical/straight to ground, step thru as u apply force to uke's stretched out arm. uke takes fwd roll.

4 - push - let uke go for push, inside hand/arm parries and swings shoulder open, other hand goes to attacking arm, shiko dachi, bring weight down. when going for parry/block, don't hop or rise

5- push - do above but this time, go down on one knee, other hand catches uke's arm underneath @ elbow

6 - face punch - ikkyu - inside wrist/hand/arm parries just enough to let punch pass to side of face, other hand goes up center line then onto uke's arm, other hand now brushes/follows uke's striking arm down to wrist, when arriving at uke's striking hand then catch uke's hand w/ little fingers, rotate uke wrist/arm so uke thumb down + bring to opposite hip, inside/lead hand on elbow, apply ikkyu

* sensei said to barbara stand above uke and get them onside by pulling up on arm and standing right behind uke. that way free arm and legs can not hit u

6. face punch - nikkyu, do above, but this time, step a little to side, create bend at elbow, do nikkyu

real life stories
I'm starting to wonder about real life situations involving self-defense. I never really thought what I would do if someone pulled a knife or gun at me. And though these are unpleasant thoughts - it is reality - these things happen. So I'm trying to build wits about this. You know, find ways to walk away (and call police)

Yesterday, I was riding bike to gym, going bloody slow. For sometime, a fellow was running behind me, enough to keep up with me. In a moment, I felt a breeze of air/saw a shadow at my rear wheel while I started to speed up (by coincidence). I took a look behind me as I was speeding up, and the ol' bugger was rushing with hand outstretched torward me.

"What the f***!?" was my first reaction. And just as we were making eye contact, he turned his face away, pretending to not see me and turned to walking as if nothing happened. Skilled, guilty creep, I thought.

And it took me a minute to rationalize why he did what he did. And I realized the bugger was a pickpocket trying to reach for my ipod in my jersey's rear pocket. Ah. And even if he got my ipod, would it be worth a fight - in bike cleats, heart rate monitor and all?

I'm starting to think not. i would rather turn and walk away if I can...don't want to take the chance of a losing fight. So, i guess i'll need to stay even more calm and focussed despite a spike in adrenaline ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home