Saturday, November 24, 2007

I've lost all frame of reference!

I've been in the dojo for almost nine months now and I can say without doubt that I am a better Ju jitsuka today than I was then. But I have no idea where I rank in relation to two weeks ago or even a month ago! I have a strong feeling that I'm not getting worse, but that's about the extent of my intuition on the matter.

I've never trained in anything where the progress was not in some way quantifiable (IE Amount of weight lifted or miles run), so I am a little lost on that front. The only thing I can be sure of is that if I keep coming to class, I will progress at whatever rate I can.

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger sensei mvd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

Sergio!

I feel your pain! In my experience I found that growth is normally very subtle, then amazingly obvious, if you look for the right clues.

For me I noticed that the clues are found in the comments made by the sensei(s). As a white belt I was corrected a lot on technique, but as I advance I can understand now that sensei(s) will correct me on a part of a technique, or will push me to be faster, etc. In my mind I think of it as a sculpture, you initially break the form down, then you begin defining the form.

Also I think that having sensei(s) call you up as uke also shows your growth, they are acknowledging that you are a student worthy of being uke.

You are doing well Sergio! Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home