Monday, September 17, 2007

Body throws

I have a lot to learn about body throws both as an Uke an a Tore.

As an Uke, I've finally become comfortable enough to take repeated throws without making that day the most painful day of the week. For some reason it still hurts a great deal more from one Jujitsuka to another, but all pains are manageable & I am contributing less to the problem.

As a Tore, my progress in body throws is slower than in any other aspect of Jujitsu. I believe that it is because body throws amplify the flaws I have throughout Jujitsu. That is to say that I might not get low enough for a roll out or I may arch my back forward as I throw a punch. However, I can still throw a half-way decent punch and roll out without breaking my neck.

Body throws are different. If I don't get low enough or if I arch my back, it makes the move impossible. On the one hand it is infinitely frustrating to be completely unable to do a body throw properly. On the other hand I can imagine immediate gains in all other aspects of Jujitsu, if I could only wrap my mind around body throws. The irony here is that the things that hurt the most and are hardest to learn usually teach the most valuable lessons.

"I haven't failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that don't work." - Benjamin Franklin

2 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

Sergio,

Don't sweat too much on the throws. There is always something that is hard, and you have a good attitude about facing your problem.

Body throws are difficult and they are tiring, I find the trick to not involving your shoulders, or to arch your back is to have proper Kozushi ( I was showing you after class, where you pull uke to put them off balance ) and to bend your knees. Without one of these you have to muscle and and force the throw incremently.

With uke-ing, there is one way to get better. Uke more. After class grab someone and throw each other a few times.

Hai-yah!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Sergio said...

Thanks Woody. I'm just eager to see results immediately even though I know it doesn't work that way. I'll keep at it and see you on the mat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home