Sunday, July 29, 2007

Setting up for success

I have learned pretty early on that my chance of success increases exponentially if I set an aim before I begin a task. Conveniently enough, having learned it in one facet of life; I am able to apply it across the board and it has helped me tremendously in Ju Jitsu.

During the first few moments of every class, as we're sitting in Sezan; I set my aim for the day. As I first joined this Dojo, my only aim was to face each class with enthusiasm and to open my mind to learn. I knew that I needed to learn an endless amount of new norms/customs (not to mention actual martial arts) from very different people who express themselves in equally different ways.

Nowadays, I still use those moments very carefully. While my aim is always to be enthusiastic and to keep an open mind, I am also able to focus on areas that require more attention. Undoubtedly as a white belt there are many of these areas that need more than a few corrections. But one at a time, I tackle my sloppy breakfall, fear of hip throws, less than perfect Tai Sabaki, etc. and surely enough I am gradually able to reduce the amount of mistakes.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger woodyBatts said...

Great post Sergio.

When I first started I used to say to myself ( as we bowed in ) "you will take ever breakfall without hesitation" I used to silently dread any time ippon seionage was instructed...

...but then Sensei Coleman started always teaching ippon on sundays. I was too ashamed to not come, so every sunday we would warm up, then ippon. Eventually I just stopped feeling the breakfall. Then once I started playing judo, the fear was really silenced.

Breakfalls, situps, push ups, stretches, grabby grab hands. All of these have been challenges for me. The only way I felt like I got a grasp ( I am careful not to say "conquered" ) was to run directly too them. Face them, and let them run me down ;)

Keep at it!

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You remind me of taking that "beginner mind" view of learning.

Thanks for sharing Sergio.

When I first started, I honestly had 2 thoughts:

a) "wow, this is kinda fun like physics. and the teachers are really great." So I wrote notes after class, and later on it became this blog.

b) "whoa, this is kinda freaky." what the heck am i doing here? where is this all leading to? what is the difference between karate and judo? do the senseis think i'm hopeless, etc...

there came a time when i realized how much i didn't know and was kinda lost.

i'm guessing this is one of many reasons why white belts disappear?
i don't know. but i think in hindsight, i wish i was mentally better at white belt. I wish i had not made so many excuses to not come to class.

because now at green belt i'm starting to better understand where all this training can be applied - for example, defending against multiple attackers.

and i think i want to get to a point where i build up strategic mind and trained body to handle multiple attackers gracefully and smoothly, conserving energy.

that seems really cool, but i don't think i would've seen or understood all that back at my white belt stage

 

Post a Comment

<< Home