Sunday, August 26, 2007

The infamous breakfall!

I was analyzing the flaws in my breakfall today and I think I’ve found the problem that causes me to travel forward. I don’t kick backwards very hard with my rear leg. If I were to jump straight up (without the power of this kick) I would land on my shoulder.

In order to compensate for the lack of momentum that the kick would generate, I tilt forward to get more airtime. As a result, I do receive the benefit of not landing on my shoulder but I also land further forward than I should. In addition, I get unnecessary momentum after I’ve landed so I scrape forward a few inches as well.

Though I’m still unable to do it; I think that the solution would be to kick very hard/high with my rear leg and simultaneously focus on not tilting forward. In the past I have kicked very hard and out of fear that it would not be enough, I still tilted forward. But the end result is that I land straight onto my butt and it isn’t much better. The key is to have faith that my kick will be hard enough to rotate my body and then there won’t be a need to tilt forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home