Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Tuesday April 2, 2007, Sensei Stephen

So it's been awhile since I blogged, but it's also been a while since Jeannie wasn't sitting next to me in class, so I figure I would blog again!

Check us out!



1. Warming Up
One positive thing about being out of shape is that you are able to check your progress very well. If you can not do a pushup, try for a week, then you accomplish it, viola! I think it's good to bear in mind when we are doing warm up where it is that you may be having some difficulties then exploiting it. Lately in my training I have incorporated interval cardio.

Basically I use the elliptical until I am working but can have a conversation, then I explode for about 3 minutes going full blast. I have noticed in just two weeks my recovery and stamina have greatly improved. That is not to say that it is great, but merely improved. Last night as we were doing are "gallops around the mat" I realized that it wasn't killing me as it has done so many many times before.

2. Kokyu-Nage ( same side wrist grab )
• Drop knee into uke & curl your wrist downward
• Hitch step into placing your self behind them ( Your hand should now be in your center )
• Raise hand through center, pivot and extend through the center to throw them off balance

Lately when I look at techniques, other then footwork I have looking an thinking "Hey what does this look like?" The first thing I thought of when I saw tori behind uke is that it looked like the entry to Sukyi-Nage, the second was that the hand came up the center, then pivot and extend through the center, never breaking connection. It's always less work then it appears, always less.

3. Nikkyu from RoundHouse
• Trade places with uke, to do this I use an Atemi
• After Atemi slide hand down to trap hand
• Drop Knee and lock
EXTRA!
• Reach up to pull wrist over for break

Listening to Sensei Stephen, I decided to imagine using a tettsui strike ( per atemi kata ) with my atemi. There was discussion that when you switch places your timing may be a little off and an atemi helps buy you a little time.

4. RoundHouse to Hadaka-Jime ( Rear Naked Choke )
• WindMill Block - FAST!!!!!!!
• Strike Ribs with reverse hand
• Opposite hand snakes around throat clenching opposite arm forming a triangle
• Step back to hang
• Drop uke

I was having a lot of problems putting this choke onto Gearoid. The funny thing was is that I had no problem doing it from the ground. Let's see I couldn't figure it out until I was in bed...Eureka! Get uke lower!

In judo ( and I presume BJJ as well ) if you do not snake the arm around there is a opportunity for a counter arm-bar ( try to choke Youval and you will learn very fast! )

Here's a great tutorial for The Hadaka-Jime Though it shows it from the ground, same principle applies.

5. Ne-Waza and the Kesa-Gatame
Grapplin and ground work in our style is the last place you want to go.

You go to a body throw and you fall, or the guy tackles you and your down. It sucks, it's hot, sweaty, and without sporting rules fingers are in your eyes and your ears are being pulled. Ears leave the body very very fast. Minimize the ability, gain back control and get back up.

As a physical and mental excercise I appreciate that Ne-waza immediately forces your fight or flight instinct. To remain calm.

To remain calm. To remain calm...this is my mantra.

Having someone on me reminds me of the riptides and maelstroms when I grew up in Florida. As kids we learned to always stay calm in water. ( actually they say "don't panic!" which is probably the worse thing to say because just the word panic freaks me out ) As you fight you tire. As you tire you give up, the maelstrom takes control. Stay calm, find the weak spot...swim out, then back to shore.

A while ago I really wanted to explore Osaekomi-waza. By practicing a little judo and working out with Youval I learned a few things that are pretty cool about the Kesa-Gatame.

When some one pulls you onto the ground, one strategy is to position yourself perpendicular to their body. From here you can transition to Kesa-Gatame. While in Kesa-Gatame, position your body so the your weight is falling on angle that allows maximum pressure against uke's ribs. I learned that this will cause a eventual suffocation because as uke exhales, the lungs are not strong enough to inflate completely on inhale. This is very slow, and uncomfortable. This does allow you to switch to Kata-Gatame, then to stand back up completely.

While workin out with Gearoid he told me "Ugh your weight was all over me!" I thought back over the last 2 years and how many times I have done Kesa and how infrequently (aka Never!) someone said that. I think back and find a connection on Jeannie holding my wrist to her center as she applies Kote-gaeshi with her whole body and how painful it is to have 90lbs against your wrist...the wrong way! Like with any technique use your whole body. I guess this is what you get when you enter into the body...you get the availability of using your whole body against uke...ok now i'm just ramblin'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home