Sunday, February 04, 2007

the taisabaki revisited

A thought about taisabaki:

A few classes ago, Sensei Maria said to put most weight of body on ball of feet, so that if we removed our feet from the mat, we could see our footprints and balls of feet. I think this was meant to keep our weight off our heels when we move in taisabaki.

Yesterday, Sensei Maria reminded me to not think about mistakes and have "amnesia" when a fight / technique does not go well. She said to keep ready for the next attack and not think about the past.

And the other day Sensei Coleman talked about how the japanese Samurai would partake in calligraphy and flower arranging (for wrist skills). I think he was saying that the movements were very smooth and inter-related to one another. The brush strokes would be fluid.

And I was just thinking of the taisabaki as smooth and flowing, like the balls of the feet drawing straight lines on the matt. Helps to visualize the movement better for me. But then after thinking about this, I remember to not think so much about it!
Ha.

Anyway, coupling this with a straight back + looking forward, I am reminded me how important posture and balance is key from the ground up - takes practice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home