Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Saturday & Sunday February 10, 11 Sensei Coleman

"Sensei Ivan is coming for you..."

I remember Itai's Ikkyu test. Sensei Ivan was the first person I noticed b/c though he's built like a tank, he moves very gracefully. Actually he moves through people. Whenever I can I try to work out with him as much as possible, mainly because he always gives me really good advice about timing and technique, here's a few :

1. "It's not about speed it's about controlling the center"
Sensei Ivan said this when he was showing me how to block. Normally when someone blocks the raise to strike a bit, that's what I did. Sensei Ivan said the above quote and showed me how I could get to the center fast just by extending my arm.

This idea can be applied to close the window, osoto, etc.

2. "It's about crushing"
Working from a mug, pivot hips elbow soler plexis and hammerfist groin. Sensei Ivan said it's not about hitting the penis. It's about crushing the groin area. Using gedan barai, drop and raise the hammerfist through the knees and up the center to break through anything in your way. Being that my triceps can lift the entire stack of plates at the gym...if I can focus it you're going downtown to chinatown my friend!

3. "Hands are an afterthought"
This means MOVE! No grabby grab...as Sensei Stephen would say.

Sensei Ivan said he would be there for my green belt test...then he said he might not. Either way one day he'll be there. I remember him trying to pull Gearoid's feet out from him after techniques. Don't let anyone touch your feet!


Wall Work
"The wall is your weapon, stay close to your weapon" - Sensei Coleman
"The wall is the best friend you will ever have, introduce them to your friend" - Sensei Stephen

From Round House...

1. Ude-Gatame from Roundhouse into wall
• Strike uke's face as you drop and pull uke's arm into Kimura
• As the lock comes, guide uke's head into wall ( uke place hand into wall for ukemi )
• Pivot and throw like Uke-otosh ( Chest out...lookin' cool )

I like this because putting on the lock drives ukes face into the wall anyway

2. "Coleman's Hook" from Roundhouse into wall
• Hook roundhouse as if going for tiger lock, DROP! ( this places the lock on )
• Pivot uke into wall
• Pivot uke into palm heel strike pushing head into wall

I don't know the proper name for this, but I'm calling it "Coleman's Hook" because he does it all the time.
The pivot is like a maelstrom, bringing them around your center.

From Tsuki

3. Ikkyu from Tsuki into wall
• Move to deflect punch ( uke punches wall )
• Grab ikkyu pushing uke into wall, guiding them to floor

4. Nikkyu from Tsuki into wall
• Move to deflect punch ( uke punches wall )
• Reverse hands from Ikkyu to grab Nikkyu, drop their elbow for insta-lock!

when in doubt...move...atemi...move again

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home