Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Random and Quasi-deep thoughts

I am trying my best to remember everything the senseis say in class to help with the learning and recall process. Hence, the blog. I encourage contribution if you find this blog helpful, and I hope it is. I will constantly edit, correct, add pictures, video or whatever I can that will be helpful.


>>> My personal thougths are in this entry only so as to not clog up the days with my babbling...


1. I have to say that the senseis are by far the most talented instructors. I've had pretty bad teachers (in other fields), but it's such an inspiration to see such great instruction.

2. Some may not be able to relate, but I see learning martial arts like composing music or speaking a new language.

The initial learning phase strikes me as one consisting of learning basic building blocks in a sensible, purposeful order, which are later put together to create a "dialogue."

Music and language have structure, organization of smaller elements that move “Time” forward – it’s the timing and temporal organization of these smaller elements that make musical lines or sentences work and "make sense." It's similar to me as I work through a series movements and timing to take the uke down.

I enjoy observing and trying to correct movements to be
more concise, precise, meaningful, and practical. But the difference,as Sensei Coleman put it, is to not intellectualize/look inwardly so much and focus more on “acting upon the uke.” I can’t imagine myself trying to edit my movements (like I can when I write) when I have to defend (or attack.) You just go and it’s very instinctual/intuitive and things happen faster…

When I watch the senseis, I am in awe of their peace, control, concentration, and external-internal awareness. Or at least that is what I perceive. I was thinking that a good fighter is like an endurance racer - one who conserves the energy most and expends it at only the most crucial moments. And even when you sprint to the last finish, when you're at the highpoint of an intense moment (a punch/kick), you’re still following a set of motions, breathing, balance and posturing that tries to save the most energy. Just a thought...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home